Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Saturday, June 18, 2011

Here's Why It Should Not Be Illegal To Film Meat Processing Plants Or Farms

This is difficult to watch.



There is no shortage of these kinds of examples, but since I posted about this twice in the last week (here and here), I thought I would share another tidbit that's made it to the public eye. This is precisely why my strong independent and pro business streak yields to greater scrutiny of farm and processing plant practices. There are just too many of these examples. It's no wonder they want to prevent the public from seeing what they do. People react viscerally to abuse and that's normal.

Mercy For Animals has the story.
During the undercover investigation at E6 Cattle Co. in Hart, Texas - a factory farm which rears nearly 10,000 calves for use on dairy farms - MFA's investigator documented:

•Workers bludgeoning calves in their skulls with pickaxes and hammers

•Beaten calves, still alive and conscious, thrown onto piles to slowly suffer and die

•Workers kicking sick or injured calves in the head, and standing on their necks and ribs

•Calves confined to squalid hutches, thick with manure and urine buildup, and barely large enough for the calves to turn around or fully extend their legs

•Gruesome injuries, including open sores, swollen joints and severed hooves

•Sick, injured and dying calves denied any medical care

Many have differing viewpoints on a vegan diet (absolutely no animal products) versus meat eating, occasional meat eating, or any animal product consumption. That's okay. You do not have to conform to the two book-ended examples out there (ie: no oversight of processing plants or totally vegan). I ate at a wonderful restaurant last night and they specialize in cured meats. Yes when I order my food from Freshdirect.com, like many NY'ers, I usually buy all vegetarian entrees -- because they are good and I like them (and they stay fresher longer in my fridge). I do not believe one has to conform to an all-vegetable diet in order to be against cruelty. Animals can be slaughtered humanely. Yes, they are being killed, but for consumption, and I personally do not have a problem with that. I want it done with the least amount of stress, fear, and pain, so I applaud the efforts of groups with whom I may not completely agree ideologically, but who work on behalf of those who have no voice.

Note that there was some felony abuse that was charged, and some misdemeanors, which of course carry less jail. The pretties in this case may not receive a lot of time in the slammer, but this case will be one more link in the chain towards better protection of animals, on or off of farms.
 
Share