Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Be Advised!

This beautiful dog, Badger, a police K-9 partner, died tragically when a rubber ball she was trying to catch became lodged in her throat. I've heard of this exact thing happening before. It's best to get over sized balls for your dogs to play with. I think it may have happened to one of Oprah's dogs, if I'm not mistaken. A ball fills the shape of the throat perfectly and you have no room to maneuver your fingers to grab the ball. It's a terrible way for a pet to die.

DAYTON — A Dayton Police drug dog died over the weekend after too, a freak accident with her trainer and police partner.

Badger, a 6-year-old Belgian Malinois, was exercising with her police partner Det. Kevin Bollinger, at Lyons Field when a ball tossed to her became lodged in her throat, according to Sgt. Gary Lowe.

Badger was taken to a veterinarian off Woodman Drive, via a police escort, after several unsuccessful attempts to dislodge the rubber, baseball-sized ball. The veterinarian was able to remove the ball, but was unable to revive Badger, who died at approximately 1 p.m. Friday.

The veterinarian told police that the rubber ball collapsed when Badger bit down on the ball, but expanded in her throat. “This was a total freak accident,” Lowe said.
Full story here.

My condolences to the Dayton Police Department and Badger's partner, Detective Kevin Bollinger.