Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Wednesday, July 7, 2010

UPDATED: Saving Ridder from the Gas Chamber

Ridder, currently at the South Louisiana Kaplan Shelter, in the Vermillion Parish.

UPDATE:
Ridder had an adopter but she backed out after getting spooked that the area rescuer didn't get back to her in time (incidentially, the same person who got me Mr. Wiggins, and I happen to know how busy this lady is). Now Ridder is out of luck again. We can get him vetted and begin to post him on facebook (you wouldn't believe the "crossposting" community there and how many dogs get rescued this way) but we really do need a little help. Thanks!

UPDATE II:
The angelic rescue person is still pulling Ridder and he is being vetted now. He has the beginnings of heartworm and is getting neutured. Our hope is to find an adopter for him in short order. The chip in below is a way of collecting some of the vet fees for an otherwise at-the-moment unwanted dog in a gassing facility in South Louisiana. If you can help, that would be great.


UPDATE III:
Pilots N Paws has offered free transport to Ridder if he finds a home! Thanks you guys!  You are wonderful!

If you are a regular reader here, then you know I often ask for people to donate to various organizations that support dogs. A while ago I adopted "chip-ins" - a temporary way of raising money for a specific need. I myself have contributed to many and have had the pleasure of seeing various dogs make it out of the shelter they are in alive.

You also may recall that in March I adopted a dog from Louisiana, and a nice couple that rescued him out of a shelter with an active gas chamber took him in till I could get down to New Orleans. They drove three hours one way to bring him to me. Today Mr. Wiggins is snoring a few feet from me. Yeah, he has to be treated for heartworm, but I love him!

Another dog from this same place, Vermillion Parish in South Louisiana, which is to say the Kaplan Animal Shelter - is in need tonight. They have no spay / neuter programs in this area and the intake of this little shelter is simply overwhelming. I have asked this same wonderful rescue couple to pull Ridder (that's his name) but they are WAY WAY WAY beyond capacity and cannot hold onto him.

The plan is to drum up support via facebook, this blog, and word of mouth, and get Ridder adopted!

We need money for the initial vetting and likely transport of this sweetie who we hope to have out of the nice woman's and man's hair by the weekend. It's a long shot, but if you can help, I'd be grateful.

This is dog rescue, one little soul at a time.




Share