Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Sunday, January 3, 2010

The day a dog ate my lunch (and other highlights from 2009)

via Nicole Ryan at "Queen Anne":
As any pet store owner will tell you, loads of hijinks go on in any given day. Here are just a few of my more memorable moments from 2009:
1.) There was the time that I had to throw myself at an off leash dog to stop him from chasing my shop cat into oblivion...which doesn't sound very funny. But in retrospect, the best part was when I tripped, hit the floor, and the back of my dress flew up. I guess I know some customers better than others now.
2.) Wiping the dog 'nose' prints off of the glass every morning. They cannot understand why I am not open 24/7, and the wet nose smudges they leave behind always make me smile.
3.) One day I had a taste for a fancy, melted, cheesy sandwich from the new Whole Foods, which I stored in my purse and then forgot to take out. Later on, I told a customer she could let her dogs run around the store, and they promptly made a beeline for the back room. It took all of 5 seconds for the two of them to snarf that sandwich down, paper and all. I don't even think they chewed it.
4.) Carl the Pug hurling himself at my door every time they walk by. His enthusiasm is immeasurable, and he is always beyond thrilled to see me.

5.) While showing dog collars to a customer, I leaned my eight months pregnant body against the display (LIGHTLY, I will have you know), and the whole thing ripped right out of the wall. Plaster dust and collars hit the floor, and I was mortified. As I apologized, the customers went back to looking at collars, picking from the selection on the floor. And that is how Nancy the dog got a new pink polka dot collar.
Share

xoxo