Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Monday, January 18, 2010

Moscow Strays Ride The Metro

via Susanne Sternthal  for the Financial Times: (an excellent article, worth the time to read)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/628a8500-ff1c-11de-a677-00144feab49a.html


There are some 500 strays that live in the metro stations, especially during the colder months, but only about 20 have learned how to ride the trains. This happened gradually, first as a way to broaden their territory. Later, it became a way of life. “Why should they go by foot if they can move around by public transport?” he asks.

I've been known to raid the breakfast buffet for food for stray dogs whenever I travel internationally (Sicily and Chile most recently), to the sometime-annoyance of someone I'm traveling with, and at least a little chagrin on my part. The words "Loco Americano" come to mind whenever I think of my taking five portions of lunch meat and stuffing it in my already prepped ziplock in my oversized bag. Hey, a five pound bag of kibble is ten American dollars in Chile!  Someone has to feed them. I didn't even see any dog food in Italy; I think they cook for them. In Chile the dogs are in all the public squares like this very good article (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/628a8500-ff1c-11de-a677-00144feab49a.html) discusses about Russian dogs (Ruskies?), and in Italy the dogs preferred to lounge in the sun near the most historic sites. Go figure.

And I love this:
http://www.metrodog.ru/

In case you don't speak Russian, passengers on the metro system in Moscow take photos of dogs they see via cell phone and post them to this website.

Share