Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Movie About Katrina Pets: Mine, by Geralyn Pezanoski

I have not seen this film and I don't know if I will. I get my full dose of dogs in bad situations from volunteering at a shelter (and one that allows us to dote over them). But I want to pass this along. After Hurricane Katrina, and the terrible situation that ensued (and before, when people ought to have been evacuated), thousands of pets were left to fend for themselves. I can tell you with complete seriousness, there is no way I could have left my dog, and it's likely a people rescue person would have had to chase me around getting me to leave.  But that's neither here nor there, and I wasn't in those people's shoes. My heart ached then, and now, when I think of it.

An interesting thing has taken place. With the online sites like Petfinder, where you can find thousands of dogs or cats that you can choose from to adopt, people began searching for their own pets after they made it to safety. In numerous cases, it seems, people who rescued them or those who adopted them, and who have held onto them for many months or even a year or two, aren't so willing to give them up again.  So here we have more people speaking up for various pets than there are pets. I would not have imagined such a problem. I feel terrible for all involved. This film speaks to the whole issue.



http://mine-the-movie.blogspot.com/2009/11/stills.html


Share


xoxo