Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Honoring Temple Grandin


I confess I had not heard the name Temple Grandin too much before this year, not that that means anything. And now I see her all over, even before the film of her life starring the tremendous Clare Danes was due out this past February. She's speaking at a college I know, she's in my latest Bark Magazine, and now the film about her has won seven Emmy awards.

The American Humane Association has a piece about her and that's how I learned the film won.

From their website:
Temple Grandin paints a picture of a young woman’s perseverance and determination while struggling with the isolating challenges of autism. Grandin became a successful doctor in animal science through her unique connection to animals and is now a world-renowned consultant in the field. She is widely recognized within the animal welfare and livestock-handling industries as a pioneer in the ethical treatment of animals.
She's a big deal! She is credited with developing humane handling methods for livestock. Lately there has been much made of autistic kids responding to animals. More on that another time...

Scroll down for this clip from the movie, complete with interviews, and a good explanation of what she has contributed.

And, here's a bit of cheer:

In producing the film, HBO also engaged the services of American Humane’s Film & Television Unit, which is the exclusive monitoring and granting agency to award the coveted “No Animals Were Harmed”® end-credit disclaimer.

Another blogger saw the same article in Bark and had the same feeling I did!

I'm starting a category on this blog to recognize her work, and to encourage myself to learn about what she has to teach us.

Share