Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Saturday, October 10, 2009

Day At The Shelter



Early this morning I thought it was going to rain, following with the streak of bad luck these last few weekends. But the rain held out and though some volunteers were busy with the adoption event in White Plains, we ended up with a fair amount at Yonkers Animal Shelter, plenty of dogs walked, and the homecoming (of sorts) of the one's who didn't get taken. Pictures to follow.

I was amazed by the number of people in today looking for "little dogs."  I can understand; I have a little dog, and I got him so he would be portable when I go to see my Mom in Florida during half the year, and when I travel any other place.  But I can't help but think that some of it is people being afraid of these dogs, too, and that's too bad.  So many have been socialized by the staff and volunteers for so long, and most of them have been adoptable from when they got to us, that it's the bad rap working against them again.  They are such good dogs, I can't even begin to tell you. 

So today a group of our long-timers (dogs and volunteers, that is) went to County Center in White Plains, New York to do the dog and pony show.  One dog was adopted; a puppy.  But at least the dogs that went did something interesting for the day and got to ride in the car!  I trust they will sleep well tonight!




Rufo (left) looking fine in his outfit, with Mike the Volunteer knowing exactly how to handle him and get him to sit nicely while I took the picture.  On the right is GiGi, managed by Gail the Volunteer, and the person who runs the flea market twice monthly that pays for the not-in-the-budget operations for dogs, very expensive medicines, and finding permanent homes at rescues for the difficult-to-place dogs.  People donate items to Yonkers Animal Shelter and if they can't be used for the dogs themselves, and if they are in good condition, they get sold to raise money.  Gail does quite well!

Below is the group I walked today. I had not been there in a week (due to a work trip) and it practically killed me. 

Mr. Willie - as per usual. "Willie Man" has happy tail, but that will be explained in another post on another day.

For Mr. Willie, check out this link:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14077563


Butch - who gave me a hard time today, getting all excited and grabbing the leash. He's in a pen that sadly does not see the grass or woods nearby and he gets anxious to get out. But he's a good boy and shaped up once he got out and got to romp around.

For Butch, click this link:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14197438

Miss Sophie, my "baby girl."  She has kennel cough and so had to be isolated this week, both so she doesn't give it to other dogs and so they can keep track of her since she needs meds. The shelter is big on process and system. They have to be.

For Miss Sophie, click here:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14287364

Rascal, and he is!  Dottie the Volunteer was at the adoption event today and normally she walks the puppies.  So I got a treat and got to walk two. Boy, were they rambunctious!  I like the older dogs, but these two are really cute.

Rascal (8 months) on the left and Minnie (9 months) on the right. She insisted I walk her since she was next to Miss Sophie. They don't miss a thing.



Rascal:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14812765
Minnie:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14824844


Healy, a nice girl who is a blue pit bull!  She's gorgeous; blue-grey and brindled with a little beige. She came in to us VERY thin and the staff and all the volunteers kept giving her extra meals. She's shaped up nicely and now I don't give her anything more than a treat. A really nice and calm dog.


For Healy:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13899568

Hannah Banana, my sweetie! She got a big comforter as a bed today, affording me the whole-body-wag which I love. A volunteer brought a bunch of towels and blankets in, and I promptly gave them out!  Plus a bag of toys that went over very very well.  I wish I got some pictures of that.  This particular blanket Hannah is sitting on was donated by a colleague of mine. She made sure to give the picture to her son, whose blanket it was!

For Hannah:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13942693


Debbie, who loves to walk and walk! She's sharing a pen with George, since they are both seniors and get along nicely, and they keep each other company. Honestly, they really are like two old people.


For Debbie:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13773383

Tasha, who is still so thin, though many staff and volunteeers give her extra food. It stresses dogs to be at a shelter and sometimes no matter how often you feed them, they shed pounds.


For Tasha:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9075826


xoxo