Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Thursday, August 6, 2009

Repurpose Of This Blog

Slight change. Given the many shelter and pet-related issues out there, I am going to use this blog as a general purpose advocacy site instead of only advocating for one shelter. Since starting this blog-project, I keep coming across compelling stories that need telling and I know that interesting (I hope) narrative coupled with facts and information will keep people visiting. This week we had visitors from London, several from areas in Canada, Wisconsin, Maine, Missouri, Los Angeles, New York (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Westchester), Michigan, North Carolina, Conneticut, Ohio, and a bunch that I could not identify. It makes sense that I attempt to reach a larger audience, and my hope is that we together can build a wider base of support for shelter animals. Everyone can make some contribution, either in time, money, ideas they are willing to see through to fruition, and lobbying your local legislators when they need it.

I'll still be walking the sweeties at Yonkers Animal Shelter (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY63.html ), so you can expect to see other stories about those dogs and cats. However, now there will now also be stories on rescue organizations, issues that need lobbying and for which I will post information, notable items in the news, and fundraisers that need supporting. There are a lot of things that need doing and I think it is best to focus my energy in more than one place.

Still, I have a special place in my heart for Yonkers Animal Shelter and in the next couple of days I'll post information about upcoming events. Most notable is their upcoming Golf Tournament and Dinner on August 20, which is raising money for their new shelter - a desperately needed facility if there ever was one. YAS was literally built in the 50's. Here is a link. http://www.newyonkersanimalshelter.org. They are poor in facility but rich in volunteers and staff that go above and beyond. On that subject, don't forget Darlene's Cause for Paws Poker fundraiser this Sunday, August 9th (http://shelter-tails.blogspot.com/2009/07/cause-for-paws-poker-fun-and-bbq.html).

Tomorrow I am off from work and will spend half the day running errands and half walking dogs. Same with Saturday. I can't think of a better way to spend days off! I always look forward to seeing them. And I got my shipment of special bison treats (and other things on clearance from Drs. Foster and Smith). Mr. Willie should be glad. And Miss Sophie, and Cloe, and Hannah Banana, and George The Nice Calm Dog, Debbie and Dixie, and Pudgie - who likes his toys, and Spuds The Giant RCA Dog.