Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Friday, August 28, 2009

Little Baby Cloe Got Adopted

A sweet very puppyish nine month old brindle female named Cloe (who I dubbed Little Baby Cloe) was adopted by two guys this week from Yonkers Animal Shelter. I'm so thrilled! I used to walk Cloe most days I went to the shelter. What a little love! I like to take them into one of our two outdoor pen areas (one is the adoption area people meet and play with prospective pets and the other is a covered outdoor pen that's big enough for the dog to run around in and which has a dirt floor.) I took Cloe in the bigger pen about two weeks ago and she immediately stood up on the bench in there, though that was intermingled with her romping around. She slid off the bench and got her arm caught on one of the shaped metal things that hold the bench up so you can sit on it, and she just looked at me with guilty eyes that said "am I in trouble?" and "help me" simultaneously. She wasn't hurt or anything, just stuck, by her own doing!

All from a dog that was left in a closet when someone got evicted from their house! Can you imagine? It happens and it doesn't always end as well as this did.

Anyway, since the brindles (one "color" of pittbull) are dark brown and black striped (and usually have some white on their chest and paws), I and other volunteers or staff try to buy them brighter color collars so they get noticed. I'm not sure if we ever got a picture of her with the bright pink hibiscus collar I got, but I know those two guys noticed her as she walked down the street with a volunteer. That's how they first say saw her. Plus, it says to anyone visiting the shelter, someone cares about this dog and yes, even though they are in a pound, they are "pet-able." She looked adorable in that pink collar!

I actually got an email from Leslie, the volunteer coordinator (the one who roped me into all this!) letting me know Cloe was "going home," so I dashed from my office to quickly say goodbye and good luck. I was glad I did; she waggled her whole body at me. It was a good day.

I'm trying to get more pictures of her; the one above she looks a little menacing, but she was anything but! The dogs move around a lot when they are out of the pens so it's hard to get good pictures. But what a mush she is! I hope new owners and new pet are all happy. Best of luck to Little Baby Cloe.