Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Friday, August 14, 2009

More Updates From Yonkers Animal Shelter

Darlene's fundraiser (Cause for Paws) raised a couple of thousand dollars for the new shelter this past Sunday at the JFK Marina in Yonkers. Pretty good! "Next year will be even better," she says. I was sorry I could not go but was having my apartment painted the day after. All the volunteers I spoke to who went said it was a lot of fun. Glad the rain held out. Keep in mind Darlene is a staff member and used her weekend to raise money for the dogs and cats.

Six dogs were either adopted or rescued this week from the Shelter. That's on top of at least two that I know of from last week. What a banner week it has been! Some of the adopted included Ceasar (The Giant Brindle Male Pit Who Stole Volunteer Gayle's Heart) and Bette the Boxer, both of whom have nice homes tonight. Tomorrow another woman is adopting a dog to go with the male pit bull she has already, who only likes young females. haha. The two dogs played today in the pen where prospective adoptive parents and their maybe-dogs play and get to know one another.

There is an adoption event for cats tomorrow taking place at the Petco in Scarsdale on Central Park Avenue. Next week I'll report on how that went. It's interesting to be on the shelter-end those events now, which I have seen for many years. Those events are how I got my last three dogs.

The website for Yonkers Animal Shelter is going to start including Happy Tails, a reporting of sorts of all the dogs who get adopted or rescued. It's more than you think. When they get that up and running, I'll do a post on it. I'm excited because I think people should see all the very positive and dedicated work happening there. As a still-new volunteer, I am duly impressed. This is an unglamorous place if there ever was one (hence, the need for a new shelter) but the level of commitment and care on the part of volunteers who supplement the care given by the very-able staff who go above and beyond, is an interesting sight indeed. I never expected so many people to be working so hard to make sure dogs gets adopted, and into the right homes. I am so completely pleased that I began walking dogs there two months ago, I cannot tell you. It has added a lot to my life, and it's much more happy than sad.

On that note, YAS's Golf Tournament is fast approaching! August 20th - next Thursday - golfers will tee off at 12:30 at Split Rock and will dine at The Riverview that evening (see post below). There will be many prizes and gifts for attendees, and they include the many gifts solicited by the volunteer committee working to put the event together. This week I had the pleasure of talking to Bronxville store owners twice to ask them to make a gift. Seven came through and there might have easily been more but I do have a job! Next year, if we do this or some other fundraiser, I will start much in advance. This wasn't bad for one and a half weeks. People were genuinely interested in knowing about the new shelter, and happy to help.

Please join me in thanking the following stores in Bronxville, NY (an incomplete list by far, as I do not yet know all the stores who donated but will be doing a full post on them). They could not have been nicer about offering their help.

Maison Rouge Salon

Village Day Spa

Tryforos & Pernice Florist

Underhills' Crossing Restaurant

Harry's of Hartsdale Restaurant

Blue Blue Mexican Restaurant

Womrath Book Shop