Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Before, After

Ever wonder about dogs in shelters? Is it too painful to go and look around? I found it very hard. Before I volunteered at Yonkers Animal Shelter, I used to drop off linens that people would give me (dogs often sleep on concrete or very hard plastic beds that wear well under constant washing) but I'd wait till I had a bunch so I wouldn't have to go and see their eyes. I knew I'd remember them and feel bad about not being able to help.

Each time I've adopted a dog from a shelter, I've remembered others there that I did not adopt. It's difficult, when you're a dog lover, to get their faces out of your head.

Here is a good before and after shot, so you can see the affects of taking that step, going to the shelter anyway - even through the difficulty of it - because you can literally save a life.

This is Ari, before being rescued, and after.





Ari is a pregnant pit-mix that was at a shelter in Georgia (a gassing facility, as it happens, which is another horror story). She was one of those pitiful faces that I happened to see on Face book, and cross posted for other dog-rescue people there, with the hope of seeing her get adopted, fostered, sponsored (an offer to pay her vet bills if someone else would take her), or even transported to another city, where someone else would take her.  There are huge networks of people working on behalf of dogs stuck in shelters. Some get rescued, many do not. But Ari did! And her and her pups will have a shot at life.

The below link is a "chip-in" for Ari and her upcoming puppy needs. I believe she is being fostered, and you can be sure her pups will not land in a shelter. Still, they will all need to be vetted and that costs money. If you are so inclined, and if rescuing or visiting shelters or volunteering at one is not something you can do yourself, but you can contribute financially (even five dollars!), here is a way you can help.



Click the above picture to be brought to the updates by the group who rescued Ari, see how many gifts have come in, and feel free to pass this around. This is one of those causes where, if everyone does a little, we've gotten a lot done. A chip-in is a short term need being met by numerous people. Once the goal is reached, the chip-in closes. Both of the others I've listed here have closed (goal was met or new strategy made and that goal was met).  I normally contribute to most of what I publish here, but last week gave to four unexpected causes (very similar in nature - three dog-related things, and one soldier-related thing), so I am going to sit this one out. I hope you will consider giving a little something if you are able.

UPDATE: I caved and donated.
But I don't see the update yet.  I hope gifts start showing up!

Thanks.

xoxo