Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Monday, February 22, 2010

Adopted

I haven't written about Yonkers Animal Shelter in a while. Things have been good. I still volunteer there on the weekends, and am in love with precisely 104 dogs.  Last year was one of the best we had in adoptions, I'm told, and that was a surprise since things slowed down terribly for a long stretch, likely due to the economy. We've adopted out a good number already this year, with four going home this weekend!  I don't want to jinx anything (it's a superstitious thing) and will talk about them another time.

Suffice it to say two favorites of mine went home, and the last one I had the pleasure of watching him sit in the backseat with his new owner, in a car full of family members, and they all were waving goodbye. It was like the scene out of The Wizard of Oz with everyone waving as Dorothy goes into the balloon.

I'm so pleased about the two that I knew a while getting adopted. It's funny; one week you are taking care of them with treats, making sure they get their walk; the next they are no longer homeless. I marvel at how one minute things can seem a little hopeless for some and the next minute you know they will have a warm bed in a home that very night.

In the meanwhile, here is a picture of one that got adopted a few years ago by a then-volunteer.  I hope and pray they all get homes like this!


Share

xoxo (Best of luck to our little ones that got homes this weekend. They certainly earned them).