Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Monday, November 14, 2011

Updates

One day I will be a regular blogger again, writing on things that are time-sensitive, telling of the latest news, putting together a substantial story instead of posting mostly pictures. But with the two dogs that I rescued in boarding, the usual at the shelter, my soldier-supporting work (we have a dog unit!), and the cat colony I've just begun to manage (oh, didn't I mention that? I think I have a saved draft post about it, that I haven't finished yet. I won't mention that I'm not even a cat person!), I am swamped.  Then there are my own dogs and the birds I adopted a month ago....

So please forgive. Below are some brief updates and pictures of Olive and Dixie, both still in boarding, and one of Patrick, who looks better now than I bet anyone thought possible. Thank You God!


Olive Girl!
Some basics: Olive spent five years in a low-visibility, low-kill shelter. I sprung her when she was on "the list" due to overcrowding, which increased due to the bad economy. I put her in boarding, and through facebook "crossposting" got her adopted her out to a friend of a friend. She was returned her after one month (not a good fit, sadly) and was freaked out and skiddish about that. I still have her in boarding and it's been three months. She is 42 pounds, 6 years old, totally vetted (including dental and a microchip), and is available by appointment. Please click the link in the left column for my email and put "Olive, blog" in the subject.

This picture was taken yesterday. Olive had a nice long walk today (about a mile), half a small chicken empanada, three marrow bones, a small piece of chicken cutlet, and a backrub (while sitting in the sun). AND, she rec'd FIVE days of boarding from an ANGEL! Many thanks. You know who you are.

Also, here is Olives "chip-in" if you would like to help with her boarding costs. It's $12 a day.  She is at Top Dog in Morris Park, Bronx, if you care to donate directly to either Olive or Dixie. You can get a receipt for tax purposes. Pedro runs the place and he is wonderful. His facility is specifically for dogs that are halfway from a shelter situation to a rescue or foster, or an adoption. Thanks for anything you can do.


And here's Dixie:

Dixie!
Dixie was in the same shelter, but for three years. She wasn't in danger of being put down but by my pulling her and working to get her adopted, it opened up another cage for another dog to not get euthanized. We still put down a lot of little guys this past year, but I like to think one less than might have been. Dixie is about 5 years old, friendly with other dogs, does NOT like cats, and is really opening up since being at the boarding facility. She discovered grass recently and decided she likes it. Dixie will come fully vetted including a dental and a microchip. If you are interested in Dixie, plese put "Dixie, blog" in the subject line of an email.

Dixie's chip-in link is here. Again, anything you can do is appreciated.


And, here's Patrick, preparing for a game I imagine (I thought it was World Series Time, but I guess that's over now). It is hard to look at this magnificent boy and remember the skeleton we all saw. God bless his caretakers.


And finally, here are the birds I adopted - Pauline and Pips, who will go on the picket line if I don't post a picture of them.




Share