Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Sunday, November 20, 2011

Update on Olive


Olive had a nice day. I got to the boarding facility at around 2:00pm and it was still nice and sunny. We sat in the sun a few times, the first of which she got her bone to chew. I was concerned because her gums bled but it might be because she doesn't get many bones like that. She did have a dental when I pulled her in July. Hard to believe it's been that long! We walked about a mile. She's put on a few pounds and I need to tell Pedro, who heads up the kennel (and is wonderful) not to feed her so much. I said once that he's got to feed her less because she's gaining weight, and he said "but she looks so pretty."

Many thanks to those who have contributed towards Olive's boarding. It's such a big help. The entire cost for one dog for a month is $360! And I have two dogs in boarding, both pulled from the same shelter. I first pulled Olive, only planning to have one dog out, got her adopted, and then once those folks were going to keep her, I pulled the second dog, Dixie. Don't you know Olive came back after a month. We learned she needs a quiet home and not too many visitors. She spent five years in a shelter and lived in a cage. She needs and will need a long transition, a lot of patience, and probably one owner, or a couple who are equally committed to allowing her time to feel secure. But I am not giving up on her and only wish I could see her more than once or twice a week. I do have two other volunteers going to see her so she actually gets visitors three to four times a week.

Many many thanks for your concern for OLIVE! Enjoy the pictures! I will post some of Dixie tomorrow.





Share