Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Monday, October 10, 2011

Dixie STILL needs a home

 ...and in the meantime, I'm boarding her. Please consider donating one day worth of boarding ($12 bucks). See below for the story. Basically, I pulled Dixie from Yonkers Animal Shelter, which was full and is still full and is still putting down dogs almost weekly. Olive also came from this shelter and she is also being boarded, but I am at the moment focusing on one dog.


Share

Background:
You might have seen the other chip-in I did for Dixie. That ended (they require an end date) and I was not able to re-open it to extend the period to collect funds. I collected $300 out of the $500 goal; her boarding costs $84 a week. Dixie has been in boarding since the second week of September.

I pulled Dixie from a kill shelter. It is a low-kill / low-visibility shelter and she spent three long years there (with volunteer love, but she so wants a home of her own!).  Like many shelters across the country, we are completely full and Dixie needed to move on or it wasn't going to end well.

She was to be an easy adoption; she never caused any trouble for anyone and was just basically homeless. I had an adoption lined up for her; she got along with the nice people's dog and they loved her, but when we brought Dixie to the house to meet the cats, we learned she REALLY doesn't like cats (and there were three). So, I am back at square one and out of boarding money at the end of this week.

Boarding costs $12 a day. I hope you can give one day of boarding, and pass this along. If you would like to donate directly to the boarding facility, please contact me and I will send you the info.

Thanks for your interest and please pass this on through any social media or through email to friends.

Dixie will come fully vetted to an approved home. Application, vet check, and home check are necessary. Adopters should be in general NYC area, as she is boarding in the Bronx, and we want to have you meet her in person.

Thanks!

Dixie's Advocate



ADOPT, DON'T SHOP!