Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Sunday, November 28, 2010

Where Do Stolen Pets Go?

It's sad but all very true.


Please do not leave your dog in the yard unattended. Two million pets a year get stolen and many meet bad ends. I am guilty of the second to last one, though I stopped doing it some time ago. I had to ask myself, what would I do if a car pulled up and grabbed my dog while I walked into a store, even if I can still see my dog and he can see me? I'd be helpless to do anything.


What You Can Do to Protect Your Pet


  • Keep your pet indoors, especially when you are not at home. Do not leave animals unattended in your yard; it only takes a minute for thieves to steal your pet. Do not let your pet roam free in the neighborhood.
  • Remember that indoor cats live longer, safer lives.
  • Keep companion animals safely inside your home when you are expecting repair personnel, meter readers, or guests.
  • Properly identify your pet with a collar and tag, microchip, and/or tattoo.
  • Know where your pet is at all times.
  • Maintain up-to-date licenses on your pets.
  • Keep recent photos and written descriptions of your companion animals on hand at all times.
  • Spay and neuter your pets. Fixed animals are less likely to stray from home.
  • Be aware of strangers in the neighborhood. Report anything unusual such as suspicious neighborhood activities or missing pets to the police and animal control.
  • Padlock your gate; outdoor dogs should be kept safely behind a locked gate.
  • Make sure that your animal is not visible from the street.
  • Keep your pet on a leash whenever you go outside.
  • Do not tie your pet outside a store to wait for you.
  • Never leave an animal unattended in a car.
Pay close attention to the section about re-homing your pet.


Share