Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Friday, April 22, 2011

Best Friends 'I Read To Animals Program'

Last week I added Best Friends Animal Society to my monthly contributions list. They will take out my donation each month on a credit card and I know that money is being used for great programs like the following.  They get the benefit of knowing what money they have coming in, which allows every organization better strategic planning.  I have been extremely impressed by their creative, diligent, and persistent work on behalf of dogs, cats (yeah, I know I don't mention them much), and other animals over the years.

This is from an email update I receive, fairly often.

April 14, 2011, 12:59PM MT
By Ted Brewer, Best Friends staff writer

A formerly stray and anxious pit-bull terrier becomes a library therapy dog in Best Friends’ I Read to Animals program.

For the past three weeks, a formerly stray pit-bull terrier has played the role of captive audience to a number of young readers at a library in a small agricultural town in Northern Utah. As a participant in the Best Friends’ I Read to Animals program, Tacoma has serenely listened while children as young as 3 years old read to him.

Read the rest of the article here.
And here are the program componants of Best Friends 'I Read To Animals' Program:

Program Benefits:



Builds kindness, compassion and respect towards animals

Encourages language and reading skills in a non-judgmental environment

Increases reading confidence and motivation to read

May lower the stress level of young readers


Program Components:




Best Friends Humane Education lesson

Writing, art or craft activity

Reading 1:1 with an animal

Stuffed animal adoption

I Read to Animals adoption certificate

 
Kudos, once again, to Best Friends. They do so much for unwanted pets, and in this case found a great solution that benefits everyone.
 
 
 

Share