Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Other White Meat

For about a month or so, I've lost my taste for pork products. I've long enjoyed meat and probably will continue to on some level. I have never liked militant vegetarians, though I'm happy to eat things with no meat or even animal products if they are available and actually taste good. But something has been happening lately to make me lose my taste for pork. Partly my new feelings have developed over a period of time - with periodic bits of information making it through the cranium; partly it's because of social media's ability to share information on a wider than-once-before level.

Here's a video that's a real eye opener. It's not as bad as some, but it does show the squalid conditions of pigs at a bred-for-consumption farm, and their distress.

I recently posted something about Florida wanting to make it illegal to photograph farms like this. While I respect property rights (and quite like capitalism, thank you), I also demand that animals not suffer unnecessarily. Without scrutiny and public awareness, there is no way to pressure farms to act better or to punish abusers, and that is just unacceptable.






Share