Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Monday, December 26, 2011

Meet Little Romeo


The adoption went super-well. We brought my dogs into the bedroom, kept Romeo on his leash, and had George off his leash in the living room, where Romeo was, since he does better that way when meeting new dogs.

The initial meeting when very well. Romeo was suitably deferential to the other three dogs (who are all rescues).  I took my dogs out of the bedroom and into the living room, on their leashes, and did the close-but-not too close thing for about a half hour. There were no big skirmishes until late in the evening and at that point it was Romeo who lunged at George, who walked too close to Romeo while he slept in his bed (or actually, one of the other dogs' beds). George is a bit like Oscar the Grouch but he's easier with other dogs than he used to be. Romeo started the argument and George pinned him to the ground. Feisty yorkie! I bet Romeo will be more careful going forward.

Overnight he slept in his bed (again, another dog's bed) and stayed there all night till I walked them at 6:30am. We're walking them about every three hours right now till he gets used to his routine. When he first got here, my Mom kept his leash on him and walked him throughout the house. He peed on everything. It took us a few hours to realize he thought he was being walked! Since being off-leash in the house, he has only marked one area - not again since - and no pooping inside (even though he had slight diarrhea, which happens when dogs are nervous at being switched from one situation to another). It's already cleared up and now he's on a regular walking, pooping, eating schedule.

All is well. Here are some pictures of the adventure yesterday.  Mom is so glad she got George a companion, and I am so glad this guy got out of the shelter. He was NIPPY there because he was afraid and I was afraid for his life because he couldn't get placed. One rescue already said no to him. And here he is, now, a bundle of happy joy and good nature.

In the car, happy he's out of jail. He and Mom match.

One of the trees in my lobby provided facination.

Wow, this place is nice and much bigger than my shelter digs!

I know what I'm doing. (They sure do learn fast!)
Mom learned, too, how to provide a comfy place to sit!

Smiling shyly for the camera.

Everyone is so happy!! Shelter dogs are the best!!


Share