Now more than ever, you are needed to donate your old blankets, towels, and sheets to your local animal shelter. With financial cut-backs, repairs on shelters are often put off, so if it's drafty, the animals suffer. I know my shelter uses rags to stuff under doors. No kidding! Empty out those closets... this is your chance to get rid of stuff and do something useful!


Monday, January 17, 2011

Transport Saturday, Odds and Ends, Two More Great Groups

Transported this moo-moo and six other sweeties Saturday night. They made their way from North Carolina to Maine, to be adopted.  Came out of a high kill shelter.  I brought a friend who didn't want me to drive the two legs of the transport myself but didn't particularly want to go (though she does a ton for shelter dogs).  We left at 5:30pm, and parted at 1:00am with her saying, "so when do we do this again?" Nothing like puppy breath, squeals, and playing to make you feel good! Four of the pups were all black, and I'm glad they will have their lives. So often they are forgotten at the shelters.


I am adding two organizations I have recently become acquainted with. I have given to both, and hope you will consider them.

Pets Alive took over Elmsford Animal Shelter in Westchester, the place where I have adopted three of my last four dogs, including Renaldo the Red. Elmsford was a no-kill shelter that loved the dogs and cats (and other small animals they had) but had trouble moving them out into adoption. They have had some success already! Since April '10, 50 out of 102 senior dogs have been adopted out. That's just one little fact that is stuck in my head.  I am amazed. I will do another post about them, and scan the very nice newsletter that I received in late December, and which caused me to make them one of the groups that gets a monthly contribution. Till them, here's a bit about them from thier home page.  They even have a pet food pantry!

I also recently learned they are starting a sanctuary in Puerto Rico, where some dog abuse has made the news in the last couple of years. Their work is not only much needed, but to this experienced fundraisier's eyes, they are stewarding and using their collected money well. More on this later but here they are in facebook.

Noahs Ark Rescue is another great group. I learned about them recently because they are taking in this dog: (look carefully)


This does is Smiley, who's lip was torn off and who has numerous scars and missing parts due to being used as a bait dog. That she is able to bond with humans is amazing to me. She is showing dog aggression but as long as she's with a large mellow dog she is doing okay. She will likely not be able to be near small animals, but in the right home she will be okay, and in fact, grateful and loving for the rest of her days (with conscientious dog ownership!)

This is good news, especially when you see a dog like Smiley. And this, too!

The group taking her in, Noah's Ark Rescue are, I just learned, miracle workers. They take in the super-difficult cases of abuse and neglect, fully vet the animals (many need amputations), foster and socialize them (or address whatever need they have), and adopt them out to great families.

Right now they are taking care of Emrick, a severly emaciated and neglected American Bull Dog, who is on their home page. Please consider making a gift to his care, and Smiley's. I did just this morning.

Also on their home page is this quote: how true it is!

“No one could make a greater mistake
than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.”
Edmund Burke  



Odds and Ends:

Another state is considering making life better for puppy mill dogs, or, as Best Friends Animal Society would have us say, "substandard-kennels that house dogs to be used for volume breeding."  Here's why it's needed.

Not thrilled about this, since he bought a puppy, but it's good he quit smoking.

Heroes come in all shapes. And sizes.

What a great idea!

Many things about my two fourteen pounders make sense after seeing this.

Expensive and maybe not worth it.

Oakland's BravestLittle one rescued. Thank you God for both of these!

Ingenuity, though I see many owners soaking wet anyway.

Once again, dogs faithfully doing their duty. Here, too.

God bless this man.

So glad stupidity didn't rule the day in Detroit.